Before jumping to the recipe, check out the HELPFUL RECIPE TIPS in the post. I hope you’ll find them useful and will love this low carb and gluten-free recipe!
Creamy, nutty sugar-free ice cream that’s easy to make, low carb and keto-friendly. Super tasty and only 2 net grams of carbs per serving!
Porch season is here and what could be better than a big bowl of low carb ice cream to enjoy on a hot afternoon. That’s why I’m so excited to share this delicious Keto Butter Almond Ice Cream recipe with you! This is one frozen treat you’ll want to make all summer long!
If you’re following a low-carb lifestyle, you may have checked out the freezer section at the grocery looking at the sugar-free ice creams. I know I did…and was surprised by how many carbs they had. Even 6 carbs per serving was too much for me. So I decided to try making my own ice cream. There are a few more steps to this recipe than our popular Low Carb Strawberry Sorbet with Lime but it’s worth the extra effort.
This site may contain affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links, which helps to keep this content free.
Once I started cooking low carb, most of my recipes needed adapting by removing the sugar. For this one, I replaced the sugar with erythritol, but that created another problem. The mixture get’s icy when frozen. No bad, but not the best either! Anyway, Vodka came to the rescue. Vodka has a neutral flavor and doesn’t freeze, so the ice cream is smooth. If you don’t want to use booze, you can use MCT oil instead.
I have an ice cream maker which is super helpful, but you don’t need one to make awesome homemade ice cream. You can whip the chilled custard to add air and volume, then freeze the mixture in a loaf pan. Be sure to lay a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the mixture to help keep ice from forming on top.
Ingredients for Keto Butter Almond Ice Cream
- Unsalted Butter – brown the butter for more intense, nutty flavor.
- Heavy Cream
- Erythritol – a erythritol blend works fine, or use low carb brown sugar for extra flavor.
- Xanthan Gum – works as a thickener.
- Pure Maple Extract – use one with no added sugar to keep carb count down.
- Vodka – alcohol doesn’t freeze so it keeps the ice cream smooth and reduces iciness. If you don’t want to use alcohol, MCT Oil is a good alternative.
- Sliced Almonds – feel free to use chopped or whole almonds if you prefer.
HOW TO MAKE KETO BUTTER ALMOND ICE CREAM
There are three basic steps to make this amazingly delicious ice cream.
- Make the custard that forms the base of the ice cream.
- Chill the custard in the fridge, then add in the maple extract and Vodka.
- Process in your ice cream maker according to manufacturers directions or add the almonds to the chilled mixture, pour into a pan and freeze.
There you go! Easy, right?
HOW TO TEMPER EGGS
Let’s talk about tempering those eggs. When a recipe calls for you to temper the eggs, what you are really doing is bringing up the temperature of the eggs. If you just combine the eggs with the hot liquid, you’ll end up with cooked eggs in your mixture.
To temper the eggs, first crack and beat your eggs in a separate bowl. Then slowly add a few tablespoons of your hot liquid to the eggs while stirring. Add more liquid, tablespoon by tablespoon, until the eggs are warm in the bowl. Then slowly stir the warmed eggs into your hot liquid.
PRO TIPS FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE
- Work over Medium- Low heat. High cooking temperatures might scorch the cream and that’s definitely a mess you want to avoid.
- Temper the eggs until the bottom of your bowl with the eggs feels warm. Then it should be safe to add the tempered eggs into your hot cream mixture. This shouldn’t happen, but if you get a few small egg lumps don’t worry, just strain the mixture through a sieve to remove them.
- Make sure your mixture is completely chilled before processing in the ice cream maker or freezing. If it’s too warm, the condensation will form ice crystals.
TOOLS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Ice Cream Maker – make batch after batch of this ice cream with no waiting to re-freeze bowls! I own this one and love it.
- Long Handled Wood Measuring Spoons – for measuring out hot liquids without burning your hands. First saw these on Foot Network’s “Southern at Heart” and couldn’t wait to use them!
KETO BUTTER ALMOND ICE CREAM
KETO BUTTER ALMOND ICE CREAM
- Over medium heat, melt butter in medium saucepan. Cook butter until golden brown, about 1 – 2 minutes.
- Stir in cream and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat.
- Reduce heat to low and add erythritol and salt. Stir until completely dissolved.
- In a small bowl, mix xanthan gum with 2 tablespoons hot cream mixture. Stir with fork until xanthan gum is dissolved. Mixture will be thick. Add to cream mixture and stir until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs. Continuing to whisk, add 2 tablespoons of hot cream mixture into bowl with eggs. Repeat several times, adding 2 tablespoons of cream mixture at a time until eggs are tempered (warm). Slowly add tempered eggs to cream mixture in saucepan, whisking to combine.
- Continue to stir, over low heat, until mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon. Egg safe temperature is (160°F.) Remove from heat.
- Pour into a container and cool in the refrigerator for 2 – 3 hours, depending on your refrigerator temperature.
- While mixture is cooling, toast your almonds: In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tbsp butter (optional) and cook almonds until fragrant and starting to brown, about 3 – 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer to a plate to cool. Cool completely before using.
- Remove chilled mix from refrigerator and stir in maple extract and vodka.
- *If using an ice cream maker – Pour into ice cream maker and follow manufacturers instructions.
- **If using freezer – pour chilled custard into mixing bowl and whip for 3 – 5 minutes to add air and increase volume of mixture. Fold in almonds and transfer mixture to an 8 x 5 loaf pan. Cover by laying plastic wrap directly on surface and then wrapping the plastic around the pan. Freeze for at least 2 – 3 hours.
- Serve sprinkled with extra toasted almonds and a spoonful of sugar-free maple syrup on top.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
MORE LOW CARB KETO RECIPES
© Copyright Christine Mello for Holistic Yum. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.