Keto Creamy Blueberry Ice Cream is a dreamy, low carb dessert with only 4.3 net carbs per serving. Simple to make and includes a dairy-free option!
If you’ve been craving ice cream and love blueberries like I do, this Keto Creamy Blueberry Ice Cream recipe is totally for you! The ice cream base is made with almond milk and heavy cream, a smooth combination if I ever heard of one. And if that’s not enough, throw in some booze to help keep it from icing. There’s no custard to cook and the recipe includes a dairy-free option!
When warm weather hits, my guys start searching the freezer for ice cream. At least once a day I hear “Mom, where’s the ice cream?”. Sometimes I want to run away – but mostly I feel lucky to have them with me. Anyway, I’m glad for my ice cream maker. It has a compressor so I can make batch after batch to stock the freezer.
To satisfy the hoard of grown men who live at my house…cough…I mean my sons and husband I’ll make this Blueberry Ice Cream, our popular Strawberry Sorbet and my favorite, Keto Butter Almond Ice Cream. And of course every batch must be taste tested…not a bad way to spend an afternoon!
The recipe is totally versatile too. This gorgeous, delicious ice cream can be made with different berries, like strawberries, raspberries and blackberries. Just swap out the blueberries for your favorite. Easy, right?
This site may contain affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links, which helps to keep this content free.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE KETO BLUEBERRY ICE CREAM
- Blueberries – fresh or frozen blueberries are fine. Be sure to thaw and drain the frozen blueberries before using them.
- Erythritol – this recipe works best when the sweetener used measures like regular sugar. I prefer to use a Monkfruit/Erythritol blend when making low carb ice cream. Note – erythritol will make the ice cream freeze hard if left overnight in the freezer – so eat up!
- Heavy Cream – heavy cream is the full fat (at least 36% milk fat) cream. Whipping cream (30 – 35% milk fat) is fine too.
- Almond Milk – to keep it low carb, use unsweetened almond milk.
- Vodka – booze helps keep the ice cream smooth because alcohol doesn’t freeze. MCT Oil is a good alternative to the alcohol.
- Cinnamon – just a little bit in the blueberry puree brings out the flavor.
- Vanilla Extract – smells wonderful and adds flavor.
HOW TO MAKE KETO CREAMY BLUEBERRY ICE CREAM
Like a lot of things, it’s easier to think of making this recipe in steps.
- Make the blueberry puree by adding blueberries, lemon juice, water, erythritol and cinnamon to a saucepan. Bring it to a low boil and cook for 7 – 10 minutes until the berries have burst. Remove from the heat and transfer to a food processor. Pulse until smooth, then dump the puree back into the saucepan.
- Cook uncovered, over low heat, for 20 – 25 minutes until the mixture becomes syrupy and coats the back of the spoon. Remove from the heat and stir in the almond and vanilla extracts. Let the puree cool before making the ice cream base. Pouring the puree into another bowl will speed up the cooling down time.
- For the ice cream base, add the cream, almond milk, sweetener, vodka (or MCT Oil) and salt to a blender. For extra flavor, you can throw a few drops of vanilla and almond extract into the base mix too, but it’s optional! Mix until well combined. Add the cooled blueberry puree and mix again until puree is incorporated into the base.
- Transfer to your ice cream maker and follow manufacturers directions. For this recipe, I stop the ice cream maker at the soft-serve stage, transfer to containers and freeze only until the ice cream until firm enough to scoop.
DAIRY-FREE ICE CREAM
For the dairy-free option, substitute Coconut Cream for the same amount of heavy cream. Be sure to get real unsweetened coconut cream. This is not the same thing as the coconut milk that’s sold in cans and cartons or cream of coconut, which usually contains a hefty amount of sugar.
- Ice Cream Maker – for easily freezing the ice cream. This one requires no pre-chilled bowls.
- Food Processor – easily puree the blueberries with this powerful processor.
Keto Creamy Blueberry Ice Cream
For the Blueberry Puree
To Make the Blueberry Puree
- Place blueberries in a small saucepan with lemon juice, water, sweetener and cinnamon. Cook over low heat until simmering. Cover and simmer for 7 – 10 minutes until berries have burst.
- Transfer berry mixture to a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Pour blueberry puree back into the saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil over low heat. Cook 20 – 25 minutes until mixture has thickened into a syrup and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
To Make the Ice Cream Base
- Add almond milk, cream, sweetener, vodka and salt to the blender. Pulse until well combined.
- Pour the cooled blueberry puree over the cream mixture and pulse until the puree is incorporated into the ice cream base and no white streaks remain. Scrape down the sides if needed.
- Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and process to the soft-serve stage according to manufacturers instructions. Transfer to freezer-safe containers and freeze until firm enough to scoop.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Holistic Yum. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and rating below. I would appreciate the chance to troubleshoot any issues you might have had before you leave the rating!