This Keto and Gluten Free Deep Dish Pepperoni Pizza is just amazing! It’s loaded with Chicago style layers of pepperoni and cheese.
While visiting Chicago recently we stopped in at Pizzeria Uno for one of their famous deep dish pies. In my opinion, this pizza alone is worth a trip to Chicago! After totally overeating and being almost rolled out of the restaurant, I could not get that pizza out of my mind. All the way home I kept thinking about making a keto deep dish pepperoni pizza that you can really sink your teeth into. At only 4 net carbs per slice, this one’s a keeper!
Many people have told me that the only way they survive staying on a low carb diet is that they can eat pizza, with a keto crust of course. Cheese, pizza sauce, pepperoni …they’re all on the okay to eat list. The problem is how to make a delicious and easy low carb crust to go with all those tasty toppings.
This pizza crust is based on a recipe for dinner rolls that I’ve been working on. The rolls haven’t come out right yet, but that recipe, with added spices, turned out to be an amazing pizza crust.
INGREDIENTS IN KETO DEEP DISH PEPPERONI PIZZA
The list of ingredients may look long, but the recipe itself is very easy. Your list may look different if you decide to use your different spices and toppings . Next time I’m going to try sausage and mushroom!
- This recipe starts with 3 low carb basics – almond flour, coconut flour and xanthan gum. These ingredients are now available at most grocery stores, but can get pricey. Honestly, I usually find the best deals online.
- You will also need some baking powder, salt, apple cider vinegar and an egg. More flavor was added to the crust with italian seasoning and garlic.
- For the topping, I used sugar-free pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese and pepperoni!
This site may contain affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links, which helps to keep this content free.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST KETO DEEP DISH PEPPERONI PIZZA
There are really two steps to making this amazing pizza – mixing and baking the crust, and adding the toppings.
- For this crust, I just used measuring cups and spoons to measure out the ingredients. Because the weight of measured ingredients can vary, the water you will need to form the dough might be a little more or less. After mixing up the crust ingredients, add the water a tablespoon at a time until the dough just forms a ball. You might even need more than 3 tablespoons…if so, add more water a teaspoon at a time until you get the right consistency. The dough should be sticky, but not wet.
- After kneading the dough in the plastic wrapped ball (the dough is way too sticky to knead the regular way) let it rest for about 10 minutes before rolling it out. That will give time for the xantham gum to do its job.
- Do add the spices to the dough, it makes a huge difference in the flavor!
- The best mozzarella is the cheese you shred yourself…or mozzarella specially made for pizza. The pre-shredded in the bag is fine…but it doesn’t melt and spread as well, due to stabilizers added to keep it from clumping together.
- A thick pizza sauce is the best for a deep dish pizza. Because so much sauce is used, the thin sauce may be runny when you cut the pizza. There are lots of pizza sauce brands on the market, with a wide range of carbs per serving. Just check the label before you buy.
- Layer on the toppings…but start with a layer of mozzarella to keep the crust from getting soggy while the pizza is baking.
This recipe was inspired by a delicious pizza crust recipe from gnom-gnom.com
TOOLS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- 8-inch Springform Pan – I use this one all the time.. WITH NO LEAKS!
- Food Processor – I used to burn out the motors on my processors..until this one!
Keto Deep Dish Pepperoni Pizza
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tsp xantham gum
- 1 tsp baking powder aluminum free
- 1/2 tsp italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1-1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2 – 4 tbsp water as needed
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 cups pizza sauce, divided low carb
- 2 ounces pepperoni slices
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease then line bottom of 8-inch metal spring-form pan with parchment paper. Or use an oven-safe skillet.
- TO MAKE DOUGH:
- Add the flours, xantham gum, baking powder, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and salt to food processor. Pulse until dry ingredients are combined.
- Pour in apple cider vinegar, pulse until evenly distributed. Pour in egg and pulse until combined.
- Add water 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing after each addition, until dough forms a ball. Dough will be sticky, but maintain the ball shape in your hand.
- Wrap the ball of dough in plastic wrap and lightly knead with fingertips until smooth. If the dough will not hold together or has cracks in it (it's too dry) , return the ball to the processor and add more water 1 teaspoon at a time. Re-wrap in plastic and knead again until smooth.
- Roll out the dough between sheets of parchment paper until roughly 10-inches round. Remove the top piece of parchment and transfer the dough to the pan by laying the dough, parchment side up over the pan.
- Carefully remove the top layer of parchment. Gently push the dough down into the pan, smoothing the dough down into the bottom with your fingers and 1-inch up the sides of the pan. Fold any excess dough over the dough on the sides and pinch together.
- Blind bake the dough 10 – 12 minutes on center rack of preheated oven until crust begins to turn golden brown in spots.
- Remove crust from the oven and add toppings.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of mozzarella over the crust in an even layer. Spread 1/2 of pizza sauce over the cheese. Add another 1/3 of the mozzarella over the sauce. Place 1/2 of the pepperoni slices over the cheese. Spread remaining sauce over the pepperoni, add remaining mozzarella cheese and then finishing with pepperoni on top.
- Bake 20 -25 minutes on center rack of oven until cheese is melted and pepperoni is desired crisp.
- After baking, place pan under broiler for 1 – 2 minutes if you like extra crispy cheese layer and pepperoni.
Recipe revised for taste 5/30/2019.
MORE LOW CARB KETO RECIPES
© Copyright Christine Mello for Holistic Yum. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.