Super rich Keto Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins from scratch are quick and simple to make. This gluten-free low carb lemon poppy seed muffin recipe takes just minutes to mix and bake!
This site may contain affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links, which helps to keep this content free.
Before I started eating a low-carb and gluten-free diet, my favorite thing was to get up on Sunday mornings and make jumbo lemon muffins to have with a steaming cup of coffee. No wonder my Sundays were always lazy ones. With Keto Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins, breakfast can still be coffee and muffins, but without the sugar side effects.
I made these for the family and my husband Matthew and our sons didn’t even realize they were low carb. The entire tin was downed pretty much within an hour, so I know they are good! Speaking of good food, you might want to try Keto Low Carb Blueberry Muffins, too.
These muffins are basically a copy of the lemon muffins from my prior lifestyle, with low carb ingredients substituted for the high carb ones. I also added xanthan gum to act as the gluten that is lost when the wheat flour is replaced by almond flour.
HOW TO MAKE KETO LEMON POPPY SEED MUFFINS
The process for making these easy Keto Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins is very similar to how I make my Keto Blueberry Lemon Muffins.
In a food processor or large bowl, mix the dry ingredients. Then add the melted butter and almond milk. Next, mix in the eggs and lemon flavorings. The final step is to fold in the poppy seeds. Fill the muffin or silicone cups and pop the pan in the oven.
Totally simple and easy, peasy!
Here are some tips for making this recipe…in case you need them!
CHOOSE YOUR FAVORITE SWEETENER
For this recipe, I used granulated erythritol, but any granulated sweetener that is measured the same as sugar is fine.
I don’t recommend using concentrated or liquid sweeteners like Stevia, because they will change the wet/dry ratios of the recipe.
EGGS SHOULD BE AT ROOM TEMPERATURE
Eggs will mix better into your batter if they are room temperature. If you forgot to set them out, here is an easy method to get them to room temperature FAST!
- To quickly bring eggs to room temperature, put them in a bowl of warm water while you are gathering the other ingredients. Don’t use hot water – you might cook the eggs.
MAKE SURE YOUR BAKING POWDER IS FRESH AND ALUMINUM FREE
As with all baking, fresh baking powder is crucial for your delicious keto and low carb treats to rise. Also, make sure your baking powder is aluminum free. This will keep your muffins from having a metallic taste. It also avoids the ugly possibility of your muffins turning green due to a chemical reaction between your ingredients and the aluminum in the baking powder.
Baking powder has a shelf life of 9 – 12 months after opening. You can test your baking powder by pouring a few tablespoons of warm water into a bowl. Then add 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder to the water. If it starts to fizz, your baking powder is fresh. If there’s no reaction, your baking powder is stale, so you should toss what you have and replace it.
THE BATTER WILL BE THICK
The batter for these muffins will be thick, just a shade thinner than cookie dough. If you have one, a cookie or ice cream scoop work great to fill the muffin cups.
ADDING LEMON FLAVOR TO KETO LEMON POPPY SEED MUFFINS
The two best ways to add lemon flavor to your baked goods is with lemon zest or lemon extract or both. Lemon juice added to your batter may effect the acidity and rise of the muffins, but not add much in the way of flavor. The tart, citrusy flavor of fresh lemon juice usually gets lost during the baking process.
For this delicious lemon muffin recipe, I used all three lemon flavorings. Lemon zest and lemon extract added the unmistakable lemon taste and wonderful fresh smell. I already had a zested lemon, so I used a little bit of the juice in the batter. I think it’s why the crumb of these muffins turned out so nice.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WHITE AND BLACK POPPY SEEDS
Poppy seeds are kidney-shaped seeds that are used in both sweet and savory cooking. There is very little difference between the flavor of the two seed varieties. Both seeds have a sweet and nutty flavor, but the white seeds are less sweet than the black seeds.
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Food Processor – large 14-cup size processor I use everyday! Stainless steel base easily wipes clean!
- Mixing Bowls – affordable three pack of glass bowls in convenient sizes. My go-to when I don’t want to dirty up the mixer or for small amounts.
- Muffin Pan – heavy duty and non-stick. I inherited this exact pan and love it!
Keto Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- 2 cups almond flour, blanched
- 3/4 cup granulated erythritol
- 1 TBSP baking powder, aluminum free
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted, measured before melting
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- 1 TBSP fresh lemon zest
- 2 TBSP fresh lemon juice
- 3 TBSP poppy seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350° F or 177° C..
- Line a muffin pan with paper or foil muffin liners. Silicone cups work too.
- In the bowl of a food processor pulse together the almond flour, erythritol, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt until combined.
- With the processor running, pour the melted butter and almond milk thru the top. Pulse until combined.
- Add the eggs, lemon extract, lemon zest and lemon juice to the processor, close the lid and pulse a few times until blended
- Unplug the processor and use a spatula to fold in the poppy seeds..
- Scoop dough into prepared muffin cups, distributing evenly. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until the top becomes golden and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- **If using a mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients until stir until well blended. Stir in the melted butter and almond milk until combined. Add eggs, lemon extract, lemon zest and lemon juice and beat until smooth. Fold in poppy seeds until evenly distributed.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Holistic Yum. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and rating below. I would appreciate the chance to troubleshoot any issues you might have had before you leave the rating!