This Low Carb Keto Fried Chicken Wings recipe is so EASY! Only 5 minutes of prep and 10 minutes cooking time for these amazingly crunchy chicken wings. No one will know they are low carb chicken wings too!
No matter the occasion, chicken wings are always one of the most popular dishes at the party. Whether you are making 20 or 100, they will go fast…trust me!
Crispy, crunchy breaded Low Carb Keto Fried Chicken Wings are so delicious and tempting, you diet might be in danger when they are around. For me, wings are what I call James Bond food…nice to look at and almost impossible to resist! What’s a nice girl supposed to do but create her own low carb fried chicken recipe and keep the temptation at home.
This is a Keto chicken wing recipe that everyone will like. Instead of flour, the chicken is dusted with protein powder. It adds no taste, so you only get the flavor of the tasty spices and the chicken, while still enjoying that awesome, crispy coating.
HOW TO MAKE LOW CARB KETO FRIED CHICKEN WINGS
Making low carb breaded chicken wings is simple, just dip, roll and fry. How easy is that?
What makes these fried wings so good is not only are they dipped in an amazing garlicky egg mixture, but that they are coated with whey protein isolate powder. Yes, unflavored protein powder! Who would have thought that was a thing?
Whey protein isolate has less carbs than regular whey protein powder, generally 1 gram vs 3 grams per serving, so I like to use it for breading chicken. To my way of thinking… that’s getting to eat more wings for the same amount of carbs! When we’re talking ‘Wings”, more is just… more! And that’s a good thing.
- Start by prepping the chicken wings. If you bought frozen wings, thaw them in the fridge. If they are fresh, cut them into wing sections. Pat the wings dry with paper towel before coating.
- You will need 2 shallow bowls for coating the wings. Pie plates work well for this step.
- In one bowl, mix the egg, garlic, garlic powder, paprika, pepper, salt and water. Whisk to combine. Measure the protein powder into the second bowl and shake the dish so the powder covers the bottom.
- Set up a baking sheet with a baking rack insert. Working one at a time, dip a wing section into the egg mixture, turning to coat. Then roll the wing in the protein powder to completely coat. Tap off the excess on the side of the dish. Set the breaded wing on the rack and repeat with the remaining wings.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt coconut oil until oil is 1-inch deep. Using a thermometer, heat oil to 280°. Working in batches, drop wings into hot oil and fry 5 minutes per side until golden brown and wings have reached an internal temperature of at least 165°. Adjust heat and check thermometer to keep oil temperature steady at 280° throughout cooking.
- Remove wings to a second cooling rack or paper towel to drain.
- Serve hot with big smile!
BEST KETO OILS FOR FRYING
These chicken wings were fried in coconut oil, with the protein powder absorbing some of that amazing coconut flavor. Coconut oil is one of the best all around oils to use for cooking low carb foods. Its stable and can withstand high cooking temperatures, but does add subtle coconut flavor to your foods.
Serving these low carb chicken wings as a meaty appetizer? Why not try Low Carb Oven Barbecue Ribs as a second!
TOOLS TO MAKE LOW CARB FRIED CHICKEN WINGS
Click the links below to see the tool used to make this recipe!
Heavy Frying Pan – the only thing you really need to make fried chicken wings is a heavy bottom pan to fry in.
LOW CARB FRIED CHICKEN WINGS
Low Carb Fried Chicken Wings
- In shallow dish, whisk egg, garlic powder, garlic, paprika, pepper, salt and water until combined.
- In a second shallow dish, pour the whey protein powder.
- Dip wing section in the egg mixture, making sure completely coated on all sides. Then dip in protein powder until coated, shaking off excess. Set wing section on rack placed over sheet pan. Repeat process with each wing section. Set aside.
- Melt coconut oil in large heavy skillet to a depth of 1 inch. Heat over medium heat until oil reaches 280 degrees.
- Working in batches, carefully drop chicken wings into hot oil. Cook for 5 minutes per side. Periodically check temperature of oil, adjusting heat to maintain 280° cooking temperature. Chicken wings are done when a meat thermometer reads 165° on the thickest part of the wing. Remove to second rack or paper towels to drain.
- Serve hot with dipping sauce.
MORE LOW CARB KETO RECIPES
© Copyright Christine Mello for Holistic Yum. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.