Make these tasty Low Carb Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes from scratch for a spicy, healthy dinner the whole family will love! Use beef or pork and you’ll see how delicious Sloppy Joes can be.
There is nothing like good old fashioned comfort food when the weather is cold outside. Don’t let being on a diet keep you from enjoying your favorites. Low Carb Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes is a go-to recipe when those cravings for meat in a rich sauce hit. Another one to try is my Creamy Mustard Sauce Chicken!
I was going thru some old recipes the other day and found one for my favorite sloppy joes. As soon as I looked thru the ingredient list, I knew the recipe could be converted to low carb with only a few changes.
The original recipe called for ketchup and barbecue sauce to make the tangy sauce that sloppy joes are loved for. Both of these ingredients are famous for having added sugars. The easiest remedy is to use a low carb substitute. There are lots of sugar-free varieties of both of these on the market, so use your favorite.
HOW TO MAKE SLOW COOKER SLOPPY JOES THAT ARE LOW CARB
These are just like classic sloppy joes, with a few substitutions to make friendly to low carb dieters. Use sugar free ketchup and barbecue sauce with a carb friendly brown sugar substitute and you can make low carb Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes that taste just like the original. The best part is my boys couldn’t even tell the difference!
Get started by browning your meat. Put the meat in a large skillet and brown until almost cooked. This will take about 5 minutes over medium-high heat. For this recipe I used lean ground beef, but ground pork, chicken or turkey would be delicious too! If cooking your meat renders out more than 2 tablespoons of fat, drain before adding the vegetables.
Add the celery and onions to the meat and cook until they are just tender, and the meat has finished browning, about 2 minutes. Scrape the mixture into the bottom of the slow cooker.
Stir in the remaining ingredients and set the slow cooker to Low for 4 – 6 hours or High for 2 – 3 hours until done. Stir the meat mixture occasionally during cooking.
Serve over low carb buns or bread. Add cheese to the top and allow the heat of the meat to melt it. Or make lettuce wraps and add a dollop of sour cream before rolling them up!
CAN I MAKE THIS SLOPPY JOE WITH OUT BROWNING THE MEAT FIRST?
You can add the raw meat right to the slow cooker for this recipe, but I do not recommend it. Once cooked with the other ingredients, any fat rendered from the meat will remain and be very difficult to separate later.
ADD-INS FOR SLOW COOKER SLOPPY JOES
One of the great things about sloppy joes is how versatile they are and ripe for making the recipe suit your family’s tastes. Try adding in some diced green or red bell peppers, tomato or garlic. Green chili peppers add nice heat, or go whole hog and add bacon. Still low-carb friendly and oh so good!
Low Carb Slow Cooker Spicy Sloppy Joes
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef, chicken or pork
- 1/4 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup sugar free ketchup
- 1/2 cup sugar free barbecue sauce
- 2 teaspoons Sukrin Gold, or LC brown sugar substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon ground dry mustard, or 1 TBSP yellow mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 tablespoons pepperocini brine, from jar
- 2 whole pepperocini
- Gather ingredients. Slice celery and dice onion.
- Place ground beef (or chicken or pork) in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Brown meat, breaking up into small pieces as it cooks, about 5 minutes.
- When meat is nearly done, add celery and onion to the pan. Continue cooking until celery and onion are tender, about 2 minutes. Scrape mixture into slow cooker.
- Add all other ingredients to the slow cooker; stir to combine.
- Set slow cooker to Low for 4 – 6 hours or to High for 2 – 3 hours.
- Serve hot over low carb rolls or bread with cheese or roll up as lettuce wraps with sour cream.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Holistic Yum. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and rating below. I would appreciate the chance to troubleshoot any issues you might have had before you leave the rating!