Low Carb Southern Chili Recipe
Full of beef, celery, tomatoes, peppers and spices, this pure comfort food will satisfy the chili flavor you've been craving!
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 large yellow onion diced. about 3/4 cup
- 2 stalks celery diced, about 1/2 cup
- 2 medium red bell peppers stemmed, seeded and diced
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1 14.5 ounce diced tomatoes
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- shredded cheese, avocado slices. green onions and more bacon to garnish.
In a large dutch oven, brown ground beef over medium-high heat until no pink remains. Break up large chunks of beef with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Drain, transfer to plate and set aside.
Add bacon pieces to the pan. Cook over medium heat until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper-towel lined plate. Drain, leaving 2 tbsp of pan drippings.
Add onion, celery, and peppers to the pan. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more until fragrant.
Add tomatoes, chicken broth and spices. Stir in beef and bacon. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
Ladle into bowls and add garnish before serving.
Calories: 223kcal | Carbohydrates: 6.3g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 15.3g | Cholesterol: 86.3mg | Sodium: 559mg | Fiber: 2.2g | Sugar: 2.8g | Vitamin C: 42.9mg | Iron: 4.1mg