Fresh and healthy, Italian Cherry Tomato Salad is a delicious side dish recipe that is naturally low carb. Great for potlucks, picnics and parties too!
Eating an Italian cherry tomato salad is one of life’s little pleasures. Naturally bite sized and sweet, cherry tomatoes are a pint size superfood. Full of Vitamin C and other nutrients, this cherry tomato salad is the perfect compliment to all of the protein heavy meals that low carb eaters are packing in. Make them the star of the show in a salad topped with a light vinaigrette and they’re addictive!
I like to use cherry tomatoes over regular tomatoes in salads because they are easy to slice into uniform sizes and they hold together well. I also think cherry tomatoes are sweeter than the other varieties, but that’s just my opinion. And I had a huge crop of these in the garden this year and needed to use them up.
This site may contain affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links, which helps to keep this content free.
For this salad, just cut the cherry tomatoes in half. Recently I heard about a cool way to do this. I haven’t tried it yet, but if you have, let me know. Anyway, all you do it set the tomatoes close together on the cutting board. Place a flat lid or small cutting board on top of them and lightly press down to hold the tomatoes in place. Then place your knife at the midpoint on the side of a tomato and slice all of the tomatoes at once. Sounds like a great idea!
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST CHERRY TOMATO SALAD
- Use plump, ripe tomatoes with no bruises or shriveling.
- Make sure your knife is sharp, tomato skins will tear and become ragged from sawing back and forth with a dull knife. Trust me!
- Slice the green onions as thin as possible. You don’t need to get fancy and cut on diagonal or anything…unless you want to.
- Like a little extra spice…consider adding sliced banana peppers or jalapeno to the mix!
- The vinaigrette is just simple oil and vinegar. Kick it up by adding garlic or mustard to your own taste. Both are almost carb free so should not effect the total carb count.
Cherry Tomato Salad (Low Carb)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- pinch Italian seasoning
- In a medium bowl, toss tomatoes and green onions.
- In a small bowl, whisk vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper until combined.
- Pour vinegar mixture over tomatoes and toss lightly to coat.
- Sprinkle cheese and Italian seasoning over salad and serve.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Holistic Yum. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and rating below. I would appreciate the chance to troubleshoot any issues you might have had before you leave the rating!