An Easy Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe that’s super cheesy, full of nutrients and lots of flavor. Ready to serve in just 30 minutes!
I’m always looking for ways to make simple, tasty low carb meals. That is why I love cooking soups. They’re great for a quick lunch or dinner and great for using up leftover veggies and meat.
The recipe for this easy keto broccoli cheese soup is a riff on a simple broccoli soup I had made for years. The old recipe used flour as a thickener. Since that’s totally out for low carb and gluten-free cooking, I subbed in heavy cream and used an immersion blender to puree some of the broccoli instead. Everyone loved it – so this soup’s a winner for the whole family.
This site may contain affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links, which helps to keep this content free.
IS BROCCOLI CHEDDAR SOUP LOW CARB?
There are four main ingredients to this soup. Cheddar Cheese, Broccoli, Cream and Vegetable broth. Each servings of soup has 5.2 grams of carbs, and 1.1 grams of fiber, which is 4.1 net grams of carbs per serving. So this soup will definitely fit into your keto diet plan. Let’s look at how the carbs stack up for each of the main ingredients.
- Cheese is a staple of the low carb and keto diet. You should try to limit your cheese intake to 3 – 4 ounces of full-fat cheese per day. Cheddar cheese has roughly 1.4 grams of carbs per cup, so it’s a definite winner for our low carb soup.
- While a lot of vegetables are low in carbs, broccoli is one of the best vegetables you can eat whether you are eating low carb or not. One cup of raw broccoli has only 6 carbs, and 2 of those carbs are fiber. Once serving of broccoli provides 100% of the daily Vitamin C and Vitamin K you need.
- Cream makes this soup ultra smooth and decadent, and has 6.4 grams of carbs per cup. But this soup recipe makes 6 generous servings, so the cream only accounts for about 1.1 gram of carbs per serving.
- Vegetable broth has 3 grams of carbs per cup. This recipe calls for 4 cups of broth, which is 2 grams of carbs per serving.
HOW TO MAKE KETO BROCCOLI CHEDDAR SOUP
This soup is really simple to make. There are no extra steps needed, like blanching the broccoli. Everything is made in one pot – easy, peasy!
- Start by sauteing the shallot, celery and garlic in butter. If you don’t have a shallot or don’t want to buy one, 1/4 of a small onion will do just fine.
- Add in all of the remaining ingredients except the broccoli and cheese. Bring to a simmer, then add in the broccoli and cook 10 – 20 minutes until tender.
- Whip out the immersion blender and blend the soup right in the pot until it’s as thick as you like it. I like to leave some larger pieces so I have a few bites to chew at the end.
- Add the cheese to the hot soup and stir until the cheese is melted. That’s it, now you’re ready to serve.
IS BROCCOLI GOOD FOR A KETO DIET
Broccoli is a popular veggie choice for a Keto diet. There are only 3.6 net grams of carbs per cup serving of chopped broccoli and broccoli is loaded with nutritional benefits. It’s a great source of Vitamin C and K, potassium and antioxidants, as well as possible anti-inflammatory benefits.
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
Dutch Oven – any large pot will work, but this ceramic coated pot is perfect for making this soup all in one pot.
Chef’s Knife – for expertly dicing mushrooms and ham.
6 Sided Box Grater – non-stick coating for easily grating your own cheese from the block. Pro quality with a dedicated zester!
Immersion Blender – for easily blending your soup to desired consistency right in the pot! Comes with fun attachments to whisk, blend and chop too!
EASY KETO BROCCOLI CHEDDAR SOUP
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 8 cups broccoli, cut into florets
- 2-1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tbsp fresh chives, optional
- Over medium heat in dutch oven, melt butter. Add shallots and celery, saute until just tender, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add broth, cream, garlic powder, mustard powder, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer.
- Add broccoli and stir. Continue to simmer 10 – 20 minutes until broccoli is tender.
- Use immersion blender to blend soup mixture to desired consistency, leaving some larger pieces.
- Add cheddar cheese and stir until cheese is melted.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with fresh chives and more cheddar cheese.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Holistic Yum. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and rating below. I would appreciate the chance to troubleshoot any issues you might have had before you leave the rating!