Easy Low Carb Chicken Salsa Verde is zesty, creamy casserole with cauliflower that the entire family will love. Great for make ahead and freezer friendly!
Wondering what to have for dinner tonight? Low Carb Chicken Salsa Verde is a recipe that gets a flavor kick from bottled salsa verde and oozing melted cheese. This recipe is simple to make and if you have cooked chicken already in the fridge, you’ll be ready to pop this casserole in the oven in minutes.
One of the complaints I hear most about making low carb recipes are that the ingredients are hard to find and some need to be ordered off the internet. Rest easy….this one uses only common ingredients from the grocery store.
Tip: Double the recipe and freeze one for later. Just pour the mixed ingredients into a freezer-safe pan, and top with cheese and jalapeno. Cover tightly and freeze until you need it. If thawed before baking, the baking instructins are the same as the original. From freezer to oven will take more time, at least 60 minutes.
Eating your veggies is essential to staying healthy on a low carb diet. The cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli and zucchini are all low in carbs, have a good amount of fiber and are excellent fillers to use in casseroles. For variety, try substituting broccoli or zucchini in this recipe or a combination.
PRO TIPS FOR MAKING LOW CARB CHICKEN SALSA VERDE
- Oven roasting two chicken breasts, or leftover white or dark meat works well for the recipe. A rotisserie chicken from the grocery is a great time-saver too.
- Shred your own cheese from a block. Pre-shredded cheese contains stabilizers to keep it from sticking together in the bag which can effect melting and flavor.
- Before mixing, heat the cream cheese slightly in a microwave for 15 seconds or use a double boiler. You should be able to stir the cream cheese smooth.
- Salsa Verde purchased from the grocery works fine for this recipe or use homemade.
EASY LOW CARB CHICKEN SALSA VERDE CASSEROLE
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9 x 13 or similar size baking dish with cooking spray.
- Thaw frozen cauliflower in microwave 3-5 minutes or bowl of hot water until tender.
- In large bowl, combine sour cream, softened cream cheese, salsa verde, cauliflower and 1 cup of cheese.
- Add chicken and stir to coat.
- Scrape into prepared baking dish and top with remaining cheese. Arrange jalapeno slices on top.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes until ingredients are bubbling around the edges and cheese is melted.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Holistic Yum. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and rating below. I would appreciate the chance to troubleshoot any issues you might have had before you leave the rating!