Before jumping to the recipe, check out the HELPFUL RECIPE TIPS in the post. I hope you’ll find them useful and will love this low carb and gluten-free recipe!
An easy, creamy low carb green bean side dish that’s loaded with tangy flavor! Great for the holidays or anytime.
This low carb green bean casserole will knock your flavor socks off. It’s amazing taste comes from heavy cream, garlic, two different kinds of mustard and fresh green beans. Add a pinch of cayenne and some crispy fried onions and this casserole is next level delicious. Serve it anytime and watch it disappear.
Green bean casseroles have been around since the 1950’s. Dorcus Reilly at Campbell’s Soup Company invented it to marry two ingredients most American’s kept on hand – green beans and Campbell’s Mushroom Soup. It wasn’t very popular at first, but over time went on to become known as “the ultimate comfort food”! To this day, it’s a classic that makes an appearance on many holiday tables.
The idea for this sauce came from my Low Carb Creamy Mustard Sauce Chicken. The mustard sauce is so tasty for that chicken recipe, my thought was “why not use it for veggies too”?
This site may contain affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links, which helps to keep this content free.
INGREDIENTS FOR LOW CARB ZESTY GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
These are the 8 basic ingredients for the recipe. As a general rule, I don’t list salt and pepper or optional ingredients.
- Green Beans
- Vegetable or Chicken broth
- Heavy Cream
- Dijon mustard
- Stone ground mustard
- Fresh lemon Juice
THE BEST GREEN BEANS FOR GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
While a lot of cooks prefer to use canned green beans for their casseroles, I prefer to use fresh green beans for this dish. Fresh green beans will be nice and crisp after blanching.
I generally avoid using canned green beans for this recipe because they tend to get mushy when cooked with the liquid in the oven.
Frozen green beans are another option. They are already blanched and flash frozen, so if you are using these, skip the blanching step. Just thaw, drain and add to the sauce.
To quickly thaw frozen green beans, put them in a colander over the sink and run cold water over them. Let them drain while you are preparing the rest of the casserole.
DAIRY-FREE AND VEGAN OPTIONS FOR LOW CARB GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
There are a few easy substitutions for a dairy-free and vegan version of this recipe.
- Heavy cream in this recipe is a thickener and distributes the mustard and spices throughout the dish. Substitute coconut cream, cashew cream, tofu or canned white beans* for the heavy cream. * In a blender, add 1 cup tofu or white beans and 1/2 cup vegetable broth. Puree until smooth. Add more broth if the puree is too thick.
- Replace the butter with olive oil, ghee or another non-dairy butter substitute.
- Use only vegetable broth for the vegan option.
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Spider Strainer – durable stainless steel. Great for scooping vegetables gently out of boiling water.
- Ceramic Baking Dish – bakes evenly and it’s clean lines look nice for serving.
- Measuring Cups – convenient assortment of sizes makes measuring liquids easy. These stack to conserve storage space.
- Long handled measuring spoons – long handles making scooping from tall containers easy. Attractive enough to store on the counter in utensil holder.
- Serving spoon – the long handle makes serving hot food a breeze. Great for buffets and holidays!
LOW CARB ZESTY GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
Low Carb Zesty Green Bean Casserole
- 4 pounds fresh green beans, cut into 2 inch pieces, approx. 12 cups
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter or olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 cups heavy cream or coconut cream
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp stone ground mustard
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt and pepper to taste
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup french fried onions (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 13 baking or similar size dish. Set aside.
- Fill a large pot (10 quart) 3/4 full of water. Add green beans and bring water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer green beans for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and drain.
- In a large skillet, heat butter or olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Add garlic to the pan and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth and heat until simmering.
- Reduce heat to medium and add heavy cream, Dijon and Stone Ground mustard, lemon juice, salt, pepper and cayenne to the pan.
- Stir and bring mixture to a low boil. Keep stirring until sauce begins to thicken.
- Pour sauce over drained green beans and stir to coat. Transfer to baking dish.
- Sprinkle fried onions over green beans.
- Bake in 350° oven, uncovered, for 30 minutes and edges of pan start to bubble.
- Remove from oven and serve.
- Store leftovers tightly covered in refrigerator for up to one week.
MORE LOW CARB KETO RECIPES
© Copyright Christine Mello for Holistic Yum. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.