Simple to make and insanely delicious, this Easy Low Carb Taco Pie is total comfort food. Baked in the oven with ground beef, taco seasoning, eggs and cheese, it’s a quick weeknight dinner the whole family will love.
One of the tough things about eating a low carb or keto diet is the feeling that you are doing it alone. And if you are cooking for your family, sometimes that means having to prepare a separate meal for yourself. Good news, with this recipe, everyone wants to eat together! This Easy Low Carb Taco Pie is not only a change from boring Taco Night, but a filling low-carb meal that the whole family will want to eat.
If you’ve been following my blog, you know that I’m an almost-empty nester. Meaning …my sons moved out and for different reasons…chose to move back in again. Even though they are grown-up with careers of their own, they still ask “Hey Mom, what’s for dinner?” Apparently some things never change.
Anyway, I decided to think up low carb recipes that everyone will eat, because at this stage in my life, I’m not going to cook dinner twice! Sorry fellas, I’m just not.
If you’re on board with the idea of making easy, low carb meals everyone can enjoy, you’ll want to check out these simple dinner recipes. Low Carb Smoked Sausage Broccoli Casserole and Low Carb Bacon Wrapped Chicken are all-time favorites at our house!
INGREDIENTS FOR LOW CARB TACO PIE
- Ground Beef – I like to use 85% lean for this dish so there is little if any fat to drain.
- Taco Seasoning –
- Heavy Cream – whipping cream will work just fine too.
- Garlic – we use a lot of garlic and this jar of minced garlic is a huge time saver.
- Colby Jack or Cheddar Cheese – shred the cheese from a block for even melting.
- Salsa – I like to use chunky salsa to add more texture.
This site may contain affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links, which helps to keep this content free.
HOW TO MAKE A TACO PIE
- This is a super easy recipe that only takes about 15 minutes of prep, including browning the meat!
- Start by browning the meat, then add the taco seasoning and salsa. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, heavy cream, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir in 1 cup of the shredded cheese.
- Add the meat mixture to the bowl and stir.
5. Pour the meat and egg mixture into a deep pie pan, or similar size baking dish, and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. Bake in a 350°F oven for 35 – 45 minutes, depending on your oven, until the pie is firm in the middle. The cheese should be golden brown on top.
6. Wait about 5 minutes for the eggs and cheese to settle before cutting and serving. Top with sour cream, avocado chunks and tomatoes to make each slice even more delicious!
7. Store any leftovers tightly wrapped in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
CAN I FREEZE THIS TACO PIE
The answer is yes. This taco pie can be made ahead and frozen for later. To freeze: bake the pie and cool completely. Wrap the pie, in the pie plate, tightly with plastic or foil. Place the wrapped pie in an airtight freezer bag or container. Label and seal. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before re-heating.
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Glass Pie Pan – for baking the taco pie. I love the scalloped edges for serving.
- Whisk with Built-In Scraper – so handy and eliminates the need for a rubber scraper.
- Melamine Mixing Bowl with Handle – lightweight and the handle makes pouring into pans so easy!
Easy Low Carb Taco Pie
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 ounce packet taco seasoning
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 5 large eggs
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray deep-dish pie plate, or similar size baking pan, with non-stick spray.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown ground beef until no pin remains, 7 to 10 minutes. Use wooden spoon to break up any large chunks. Drain fat if needed.
- Sprinkle taco seasoning over meat and add salsa. Stir to combine and cook additional 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs until frothy. Whisk in heavy cream, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir in 1 cup cheese.
- Add beef to egg and cream mixture. Stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake on center rack of oven for 35 – 45 minutes until center of pie is firm and set.
- Cool for 5 minutes before cutting.
- Garnish with sour cream, avocado and tomatoes for serving (optional).
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Holistic Yum. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and rating below. I would appreciate the chance to troubleshoot any issues you might have had before you leave the rating!