This easy skillet Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak is out of this world tasty! With tender shaved steak, peppers, onions and spices it’s everything you could want in a low carb sandwich– delicious, hearty and served in minutes.
If you’re jonesing for a hearty sandwich, but trying to stay faithful to a keto diet, this Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak recipe’s for you. I know…I know… this isn’t real Philly Cheesesteak… but it’s close for a low carb recipe. My low carb version has bell peppers…they’re tasty and good for you so I included them.
Anyway, we know that the hoagie bun is out, but I found a pretty good alternative with zero net carb Smart Buns. They’re pricey, so I only use them for sandwiches that are worthy, like this one. Otherwise, I’ll make do with a lettuce wrap.
You might also like our Keto Buffalo Chicken Wraps, just like a sandwich, but without the bun.
Ingredients to make Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches
- Steak – I used packaged shaved steak for this recipe, but ribeye or sirloin are good choices too.
- Soy Sauce
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Red Pepper Flakes – just a pinch adds enough heat.
- Garlic – I like pre-minced garlic..no mess, no garlic aroma on my hands.
- Red and Yellow Bell Peppers
- Yellow Onion
- Provolone Cheese -swiss cheese is a good alternate for the provolone.
- Low Carb Buns
What’s The Best Meat For Cheesesteak Sandwiches?
Ribeye steak is the traditional meat of choice for a cheesesteak sandwiches because it’s flavorful and has enough marbling to saute well. But that cut can be pricey. As an alternative, skirt steak is a good choice as well as sirloin. I like to buy packages of shaved steak from the meat case when they’re on sale and freeze them, but use what you like.
If your buying a piece of meat, save your fingers and ask the butcher to shave the meat for you. I asked at the grocery and they said they do it all the time…must be lots of other cheesesteak lovers out there!
I serve this sandwich and all my burgers on Smart Buns, which have 0 (Zero) net carbs. They taste great toasted and make you feel like your eating the real thing. They’re individually wrapped so you can keep them frozen until you need them.
Freezing this Low Carb Cheesesteak Recipe
If you like to have meals at the ready in your freezer, this one is perfect. Just cook and serve, no thawing needed. Here’s how I do it…
- Place the raw steak with seasonings in large freezer bag, top with sliced peppers and onions.
- Wrap the cheese in plastic. Clip cheese to bag or place cheese in separate container.
- Seal, label and store in freezer for up to 3 months.
- When ready to use just carefully pour the contents of the bag into a heated skillet and cook until the meat is done and the veggies are tender. Serve on buns with melted cheese.
Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak
- 1 pound shaved steak
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow pepper, seeded, stemmed and sliced into strips
- 1 medium red pepper, seeded, stemmed and sliced into strips
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch thick rings
- 4 ounces provolone cheese, sliced or shredded
- 6 large low carb sandwich buns
- In a large bowl, toss the shaved steak with salt, pepper, soy sauce, vinegar, red pepper flakes and garlic.
- Heat vegetable oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add seasoned steak, peppers and onions. Toss with tongs until steak is browned and vegetables are tender 4 – 5 minutes.
- Turn on oven broiler. Toast buns on baking sheet until golden, 1 – 2 minutes. Remove bun tops from pan. Divide meat and veggie mixture evenly between bun bottoms. Top with cheese slices and return to broiler until cheese is melted, bout 1 minute. Replace bun tops and serve hot.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Holistic Yum. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and rating below. I would appreciate the chance to troubleshoot any issues you might have had before you leave the rating!
NEED LOW CARB PANTRY ESSENTIALS?
CLICK ON THE IMAGES BELOW TO BUY YOUR LOW CARB BASICS. VISIT MY AMAZON SHOP FOR MORE MUST-HAVES!