A Sausage Broccoli Low Carb Breakfast Casserole Recipe that’s hearty and gluten-free. It’s great for the freezer too!
There is no better way to start the weekend than a fresh out-of-the-oven Sausage Broccoli Low Carb Breakfast Casserole. If you are eating low carb, that breakfast of bacon and eggs can get same old same old. Or worse, you are skipping breakfast altogether. This Low Carb Breakfast Casserole filled with sausage, bacon, broccoli and cheese will add some much needed zing to your breakfast line up.
This recipe checks all the boxes for a family weekend breakfast, holiday brunch and everything in-between. And…it’s a meal that the whole family will love.
Love eggs for breakfast but don’t need a whole casserole, try our Low Carb Ham Egg Breakfast Muffins!
This site may contain affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links, which helps to keep this content free.
WHAT IS A CASSEROLE?
A casserole is a hot meal that’s baked in the oven in a large shallow pan or casserole dish, then simply served in the same dish. Casseroles generally have three main parts: a base (like meat or cheese),an extender ( like grains, pasta or vegetables) and a binder (like eggs or soup). They are usually easy to make and considered classic comfort food.
INGREDIENTS FOR SAUSAGE BROCCOLI LOW CARB BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
- Breakfast Sausage – I use the kind that comes in the roll and use a wooden spoon to break it up as it browns.
- Bacon – save a step by buying pre-cooked bacon. It’s shelf stable until you open it!
- Heavy cream – if you are watching your calories, you can sub in whipping cream or half and half.
- Cheese – for this recipe, pre-shredded cheese works just fine.
- Broccoli Florets – I used frozen broccoli, but fresh or leftovers are great too!
- Red Bell Pepper
- Spices – onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and hot sauce.
HOW TO MAKE SAUSAGE BROCCOLI LOW CARB BREAKFAST CASSEROLE + TASTY VARIATIONS
Most casseroles are made with a few simple steps. No matter the ingredients you are using, here are the general steps to follow:
COOK THE SAUSAGE AND BACON
For the sausage, you will want to brown the meat over high heat until the meat is completely cooked and any moisture has evaporated. Add the diced red pepper during the last few minutes of cooking and saute with the sausage until just tender. Drain off the fat if needed and transfer the sausage and peppers to a plate. Use the same pan to cook the bacon until crisp. Transfer the bacon to paper towel lined plate and drain off all but 2 tablespoon of fat.
SAUTE THE BROCCOLI
In the bacon fat, cook the broccoli over medium heat until just tender, about 5 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent burning. Set aside.
*If you used pre-cooked bacon, add 1 – 2 tablespoons vegetable oil to the pan instead.
MIX THE EGGS AND SPICES
In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and heavy cream. Add spices, hot sauce and salt and pepper and stir to combine.
Add the sausage with peppers, bacon, broccoli and 1-1/2 cups cheese to the egg mixture. Lightly stir and pour into the casserole dish. Use a fork to evenly distribute the meat and broccoli in the pan. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
**Coconut cream can be substituted for the heavy cream.
You’ll know the casserole is done when the top is golden brown and the center is firm when lightly touched. Or, stick a knife in the center and if it come’s out clean it’s finished baking.
Instead of Breakfast Sausage, try smoked sausage or ground pork (hot if you like it really zesty!)
If you like, substitute cauliflower or green beans for the broccoli. Green bell pepper, a can of diced green chilies or roasted red pepper straight from the jar work well as a substitute for the red bell pepper.
How about Mexican Blend or provolone shredded cheese for the cheddar? If your really adventurous, sub in Hot Pepper cheese!
The sky’s the limit on taste variations for breakfast casseroles. My #1 rule for cooking is “use what you love and it will always taste good!”
MAKE AHEAD SAUSAGE BROCCOLI LOW CARB BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
If you are wanting to make this breakfast casserole ahead, this one is great. Just assemble the ingredients according to the recipe, then cover tightly and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Bake the casserole just before serving.
Freezing – this casserole can be frozen after baking and re-heated in the oven or microwave. Wrap whole casserole or individual servings tightly in plastic wrap, then put into an airtight container or freezer bag. Freeze for up to 2 months. **I do not recommend freezing this casserole before baking because the cream may break apart when frozen and become grainy.
TOOLS USED TO SAUSAGE AND BROCCOLI BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
- Glass Baking Dish – for baking this casserole. Large handles and a handy lid make this dish a winner!
- Glass Mixing Bowls – must-have bowls for every home cook. These bowls comes in a pack with three convenient sizes.
MORE LOW CARB RECIPES TO LOVE
LOW CARB BREAKFAST CASSEROLE RECIPE WITH SAUSAGE AND BROCCOLI
Low Carb Breakfast Casserole Recipe with Sausage and Broccoli
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly grease or mist 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Brown sausage over medium-high heat until little pink remains. Add red bell pepper and saute with sausage peppers are tender and no pink remains on sausage. Drain fat and transfer to a plate.
- In the same pan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain all but 2 tablespoons bacon drippings and transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- Add broccoli to pan. Saute over medium-high heat until tender-crisp. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and cream. Add onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Stir until distributed throughout.
- Add 1-1/2 cups cheese, sausage with peppers, bacon and broccoli to the egg mixture. Stir lightly.
- Pour mixture into prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese evenly over the top.
- Bake on center rack of oven for 45 – 55 minutes until knife inserted in center comes out clean, and top is golden brown.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Holistic Yum. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
NEED LOW CARB PANTRY ESSENTIALS?
CLICK ON THE IMAGES BELOW TO BUY YOUR LOW CARB BASICS. VISIT MY AMAZON SHOP FOR MORE MUST-HAVES!