A quick and simple protein packed breakfast that is perfect for grab and go on busy mornings.
Most mornings, you will find me scurrying around trying to get ready for the day. Sound familiar? On those days, a filling breakfast just seems out of reach. It is especially hard when you are following a diet. Having a batch of Low Carb Ham and Egg Breakfast Muffins to grab on the way out the door may be just what you need to stay on track and avoid those mid-morning cravings.
Making these muffins is really easy and takes about a half hour total. Once you try them, you will be hooked!
HOW TO MAKE HAM AND EGG MUFFINS
Making these protein packed muffins could not be any easier and they only takes a few minutes to whip up.
To start, preheat the oven to 350° and spray the tin with cooking spray.
Divide the ham, cheese and peppers equally between the muffin cups. Adjust from cup to cup if you find they are not evenly distributed.
Beat the eggs with the seasoning, and pour or spoon the egg mixture evenly into the muffin cups. I like to beat my eggs in a large measuring cup that has a handle and spout to make this easier.
Bake the muffins in the oven for about 25 minutes. The muffins will puff up during baking. You can test for done with a toothpick. If it comes out clean, the muffins are done.
Let them rest for a few minutes after taking the pan out of the oven, then remove from the tin. You can invert the tin over the counter and the muffins should come out, or use a fork to pop them out.
DO I HAVE TO USE A MUFFIN TIN?
The recipe was tested using a standard size muffin tin, but you could also bake the mixture in a mini muffin tin. A round or square cake pan will work too. The baking time will be shorter for the mini tin and a little longer for the cake pan.
HOW TO STORE HAM AND EGG MUFFINS
These muffins will keep for about a week in the refrigerator. Store in an airtight container.
If you are freezing the muffin, place them on a tray and allow to freeze up before putting in storage bags. This will keep them from sticking together in the bags.
I like to make a few batches, and freeze two muffins each in plastic freezer bags. Thaw in the fridge the night before or in the microwave the day you eat them.
MORE MUFFIN FLAVOR OPTIONS
There are so many different ways to flavor these muffins. Here are my favorites:
- Ham, Swiss Cheese and Broccoli with Caraway Seeds – substitute broccoli for the green peppers and add the caraway seeds with the seasoned salt and pepper to the eggs.
- Bacon and Cheddar with Ranch Seasoning – substitute thinly sliced green onions for the green pepper and add ranch seasoning to the eggs instead of the seasoned salt.
- Chorizo and Quesadilla Cheese with Hot Sauce – add the hot sauce to the eggs with the salt and pepper.
LOW CARB HAM AND EGG MUFFINS
- 1 cup cooked ham, diced
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup green pepper, diced
- 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 8 eggs, well-beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray.
- Divide ham, cheese and green pepper equally between muffin cups.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with seasoned salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture equally among muffin cups.
- Use a fork to gently stir each cup, mixing the egg with ham, cheese and green pepper.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 – 30 minutes, until starting to brown slightly.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, then remove the muffins from the tin.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.