Low Carb Southern Chili Recipe – Full of beef, celery, tomatoes, peppers and spices, this pure comfort food will satisfy the chili flavor you’ve been craving!
Sometimes you just got to have a big bowl of chili, like this Low Carb Southern Chili! I know, those words seems out of place when we’re starting the dog days of summer, but I have had super chili cravings lately. Maybe it’s my guys counting down the days until football comes back or the stores already setting out their fall merch, but chili sounds so good right now.
If you’re craving some chili, don’t feel like you need to limit yourself to just a bowl. Grilling outside? Grab a hot dog and a slice of low-carb bread and then spoon this chili over it. Add some shredded cheese on top and you’ve gone to low carb chili cheese dog paradise! Don’t even get me started on on what my chili burger looks like…
CAN I HAVE CHILI ON A LOW CARB DIET?
You most certainly can! This chili recipe doesn’t call for beans, so it’s totally low carb. There’s only 4.1 grams of net carbs per serving. Sounds good to me!
MORE LOW CARB GROUND BEEF RECIPES
Ground beef is easy on the budget and is the base for a lot of my tasty low carb meat recipes. If you’re looking for more recipes for ground beef, try my Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes or Easy Low Carb Taco Pie!
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE LOW CARB SOUTHERN CHILI
- Ground Beef
- Bacon – I used thick-cut bacon for this recipe, but you can save some time by using pre-cooked bacon too!
- Yellow Onion
- Red Bell Pepper – Orange or Yellow Bell Pepper are okay too but they have slightly more carbs.
- Minced Garlic
- Chili Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Diced Tomatoes – sometimes I substitute canned fire-roasted diced tomatoes, to add different flavor to the chili. Be sure to buy canned tomatoes with no added sugar!
- Chicken Broth – use low-sodium broth if you are watching your salt intake. For this recipe, I used regular chicken broth, but didn’t add any more salt to the recipe.
HOW TO FREEZE LOW CARB SOUTHERN CHILI
This recipe is perfect for making ahead and freezing chili for later. It can be doubled or tripled with no problems. When the chili is done, let it cool down until it stops steaming. Ladle the chili into quart or gallon size plastic freezer bags or containers. Thaw in the fridge before re-heating on the stove, or open the bag or container and re-heat from frozen on medium power in the microwave.
- If using bags, get out as much air as you can, seal, lay the bags flat and then distribute the chili into an even layer. Store laying flat in the freezer up to 3 months.
- If you’re using containers, fill the containers almost right to the top, to reduce as much air in the container as possible. Seal with the lid and store for up to 3 months in the freezer.
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Dutch Oven – great cast-iron ceramic pot for cooking soups, stews and roasts!
MORE LOW CARB RECIPES TO LOVE
LOW CARB SOUTHERN CHILI RECIPE
Low Carb Southern Chili Recipe
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced. about 3/4 cup
- 2 stalks celery, diced, about 1/2 cup
- 2 medium red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded and diced
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1 14.5 ounce diced tomatoes
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- shredded cheese, avocado slices. green onions and more bacon to garnish.
- In a large dutch oven, brown ground beef over medium-high heat until no pink remains. Break up large chunks of beef with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Drain, transfer to plate and set aside.
- Add bacon pieces to the pan. Cook over medium heat until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper-towel lined plate. Drain, leaving 2 tbsp of pan drippings.
- Add onion, celery, and peppers to the pan. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, chicken broth and spices. Stir in beef and bacon. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and add garnish before serving.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Holistic Yum. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
NEED LOW CARB PANTRY ESSENTIALS?
CLICK ON THE IMAGES BELOW TO BUY YOUR LOW CARB BASICS. VISIT MY AMAZON SHOP FOR MORE MUST-HAVES!