Mozzarella Herb Chicken Bake made with chicken breasts, and layers of mozzarella cheese and and creamy herb sauce. A cinch to fix, incredibly tasty and low carb to boot!
I’ve made this Mozzarella Herb Chicken Bake recipe so many times over the years and it’s still a favorite. When you cut into it and see that thick layer of sauce, you know it’s gotta be good. Even with the guy’s complaining about “chicken again?”, they still eat every last mouthful.
I should be fair. My husband Matthew lives in his semi truck all week, so whatever I put on the table is fine with him, as long as it’s a hot meal. My sons are a different story.
If you’re a reader of the blog, you know that my guys moved out after college, but came back again. Goodbye empty nest. Both have great jobs, ones a criminal defense lawyer, the other’s a chemical engineer and they do help support the house… but have very different opinions about whats good for dinner. Sorry guys, we will not be eating chicken wings every night! With all my faults, sometimes I feel like the only adult in the house. I’ll just say that this is one recipe that get’s no complaints!
More popular chicken recipes for picky eaters:
- Low Carb Bacon Wrapped Chicken
- Low Carb Creamy Mustard Sauce Chicken
- Low Carb Chicken Salsa Verde Casserole
- Easy Parmesan Ranch Chicken Wings
Ingredients to make Mozzarella Herb Chicken Bake
The beauty of this recipe is that it’s adaptive. If you don’t have mozzarella in the fridge, use cheddar or Swiss. Swap out the herbs for your favorites. How about adding a pinch of cayenne for heat? It’s up to you.
How To Make Mozzarella Herb Chicken Bake
Talk about simple. This chicken breast recipe calls for easy ingredients you probably already have if your living low carb, and definitely ups the ante on plain ole chicken breasts.
Start by slicing the chicken breasts in half lengthwise to make thin cutlets. Put them in a greased baking pan large enough to fit them without overlapping.
Then mixing the mayo, sour cream, parm cheese and herbs in a bowl. Divide the mixture evenly between the chicken breasts, spreading it out over the tops.
Lay a thick slice of mozzarella over the top of the herb mixture. Then sprinkle with the parmesan cheese. Bake for an hour at 375°F and you’re done!
Now, we like our cheese to be crusty on top, so I leave mine in the oven until the cheese is browned. However you like it, just make sure the chicken is done, which is at least 165°F on an instant read thermometer, before you take it out of the oven. No one wants to eat under-cooked chicken!
Mozzarella Herb Chicken Bake
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 9 x 13 or similar size baking dish.
- Use a sharp knife to slice the chicken breasts in half lengthwise, to make cutlets. Place chicken breasts in single layer in the bottom of baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, parsley, thyme and garlic. Spread evenly over each chicken breast.
- Top each breast with mozzarella cheese and remaining parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 1 hour, until cheese is crisp and chicken is at least 165°F on instant read thermometer. Let chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving.
EQUIPMENT WE USED!
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Holistic Yum. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and rating below. I would appreciate the chance to troubleshoot any issues you might have had before you leave the rating!