Easy Cauliflower Fried Rice with frozen riced cauliflower, zucchini, onions, garlic and egg. A bold low carb side dish for when you’re craving take-out.
Riced cauliflower recipes, like this easy cauliflower fried rice are all the rage right now and perfect for keto and low carb lifestyles. It’s perfect for a side dish, or make it a meal by adding protein like cooked chicken or shrimp Make a little or a lot, it’s a simple, quick and so tasty you won’t even miss the rice.
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- Riced Cauliflower – rice your own from a medium head of cauliflower, buy pre-packaged riced cauliflower that’s fresh or frozen.
- Butter – I always use unsalted butter so salt can be added later. Margarine or vegetable oil are dairy-free substitutes.
- Egg – use one large egg. Add additional eggs if you want more egg flavor…or omit if you don’t like them.
- Zucchini – use any low carb friendly vegetables you like in this recipe. Peas and carrots are especially tasty if you are not watching your carbs.
- Green Onion – for this recipe, the green part was used. if you like more onion flavor, include the white too.
- Garlic – minced garlic is essential for this recipe. I like to use pre-minced from a jar to make cooking that much easier.
- Soy Sauce – substitute Tamari for a gluten-free alternative.
- Rice Vinegar – adds a nice tangy punch.
- Sesame Oil – another essential ingredient that adds silky, nutty flavor.
- Fish Sauce (optional) – I consider this an essential ingredient…but tastes vary. I totally suggest you try it!
- Almonds – for bold flavor, try sprinkling on flavored almonds like these wasabi & soy sauce almonds!
HOW TO MAKE EASY CAULIFLOWER FRIED RICE
Begin by heating 1 tablespoon butter or vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the egg, chopping it up with a wooden spoon while it cooks over medium heat until scrambled.
Scrape the eggs onto a plate, then saute the zucchini, onions and garlic over medium heat until softened and just beginning to brown. Transfer to the plate with the eggs.
In same skillet, melt remaining butter over medium heat, add riced cauliflower and saute for 3 – 4 minutes. Stirring often.
Cauliflower will begin to crisp slightly around the edges. The cauliflower doesn’t get “crispy” and browned like rice will, instead you’ll see the cauliflower start to look dry at the edges.
Stir in the soy sauce, rice vinegar and fish sauce until cauliflower is coated.
Add eggs and vegetables back into skillet and stir into cauliflower. Drizzle sesame oil over mixture and stir gently to coat. Remove pan from heat.
Garnish with additional green onions and chopped almonds. I love adding flavored almonds, like Wasabi & Soy or Smokehouse almonds to quick dishes for even more flavor. They do have added salt – so be sure to taste before sprinkling on even more salt after cooking.
WHAT IS FISH SAUCE?
If you haven’t tried fish sauce, you definitely, positively need to give it a go. It will add amazing show-stopping salty, sweet, fishy flavor to all of your Asian cooking dishes.
Fish sauce is made with….fish! Yes, fish are fermented from a couple months to years, packed in barrels with salt. The natural bacteria break down the fish and produce a briny, fishy liquid…that is fish sauce.
MORE EASY RECIPES TO LOVE
Quick & Easy Cauliflower Fried Rice
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, divided, vegetable oil or margarine for dairy-free
- 1 large egg
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 medium green onion, green only, sliced thin
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 cups cauliflower rice
- 1 tbsp soy sauce, or tamari for (GF)
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp fish sauce, optional
- 1 tbsp chopped almonds, optional
- Over medium heat, melt 1 TBSP butter in skillet. Add egg, chopping it up with a wooden spoon while cooking over medium heat until scrambled. Transfer to plate.
- Add zucchini, onions and garlic to skillet, saute over medium heat until softened and just beginning to brown. Transfer to plate with eggs.
- In same skillet, melt remaining butter over medium heat, add cauliflower and saute for 3 – 4 minutes. Cauliflower will begin to crisp slightly around edges. Stir in soy sauce, rice vinegar and fish sauce.
- Add eggs and vegetables back to skillet and stir into cauliflower. Drizzle sesame oil over mixture and stir gently to coat. Remove pan from heat. Garnish with additional green onions and chopped almonds.
EQUIPMENT WE USED!
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Holistic Yum. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and rating below. I would appreciate the chance to troubleshoot any issues you might have had before you leave the rating!