Broccoli crowns tossed in olive oil and seasonings, roasted until tender then topped with garlic and parmesan cheese, with only 4 grams of net carbs per serving!
ROASTED BROCCOLI PARMESAN
Whether you’re following a low carb diet or just looking to eating a healthier diet, you cannot go wrong with broccoli. But…if you’re like the rest of us, you also need to keep it interesting. Nothing will drag you down and off your diet faster than boring, bland dishes. Steamed vegetables anyone?
What I found is it’s not what we’re eating that’s got us looking out the window waiting to snag the neighbors pizza delivery, but the way it’s prepared. Take this broccoli for example – steam it and it’s okay (yawn), steam it and smother it with butter (better but not exactly heart healthy) or roast it with olive oil and garlic until it’s tender but has crispy edges, then pile on the parmesan and add some heat. That’s right, so much better,totally delicious and not a bit boring.
HOW TO MAKE ROASTED BROCCOLI PARMESAN
This dish is one of the easiest I’ve ever made. If you can put veggies on a pan, drizzle oil and shred cheese, you can absolutely make this flavorful low carb side.
- Broccoli Florets – For large florets, buy broccoli crowns and cut large florets from the tops. Save the stems for another recipe.
- Olive Oil – While olive oil is my oil of choice for this recipe, vegetable or canola oil are perfectly fine.
- Parmesan Cheese – For the best melting, shred your own parmesan cheese from a wedge. You’ll love the flavor!
- Garlic Powder – I love garlic powder simply for the convenience, and it doesn’t burn during roasting like minced or pressed garlic can.
- Red Pepper Flakes – add heat and flavor to this simple side dish.
Place your cut florets on a sheet pan. Drizzle with oil and season. Roast until tender, then mound parmesan cheese on the top of the florets. Add a pinch of red pepper flakes and put back in the oven to melt the cheese. Done! It’s that simple.
IS BROCCOLI HEALTHY?
Absolutely. Broccoli is a great source of fiber, Vitamin C and K and has antioxidant benefits. It also contains more protein that a lot of other vegetables, and has minimal carbs of only 4 net grams per cup serving. That’s quite a wallop for a humble green cruciferous. It’s great for salads and main dishes, like Low Carb Broccoli Bacon Salad and Smoked Sausage Broccoli Casserole. Broccoli is referred to as a Superfood and we like to believe its not only for the nutrition it gives you…but also how tasty and versatile it is too!
MORE LOW CARB RECIPE IDEAS:
- Keto Fried Chicken Wings
- Low Carb Oven BBQ Ribs
- Keto Homestyle Meatloaf
- Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- Mozzarella Herb Chicken Bake
Roasted Broccoli Parmesan
- 3 cups broccoli crowns, about 12 large florets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease rimmed baking sheet.
- Trim broccoli crowns into 12 large florets. Place on baking sheet. Drizzle over olive oil and sprinkle with garlic powder, slat and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Bake broccoli until tender 20 – 25 minutes. Remove from oven. Mound parmesan cheese evenly on florets, sprinkle with red pepper flakes. Return to oven for 3 – 5 minutes until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Holistic Yum. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
NEED LOW CARB PANTRY ESSENTIALS?
CLICK ON THE IMAGES BELOW TO BUY YOUR LOW CARB BASICS. VISIT MY AMAZON SHOP FOR MORE MUST-HAVES!
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and rating below. I would appreciate the chance to troubleshoot any issues you might have had before you leave the rating!