Keto Breaded Oven Barbecue Chicken are breaded and baked chicken breasts slathered with rich homemade barbecue sauce. Super easy to make and mouth watering delicious.
A healthy, zesty sauce is exactly what you need to take your chicken dinner from boring to bold. We all know that eating chicken can get O-L-D fast. So, what to do about it? Whip up a tasty barbecue sauce to go with. And let’s not just bake those breasts, but bread them in almond flour so they come out of the oven smelling amazing.
With this recipe, you’ll never have to worry about serving dull, old chicken again. This tasty recipe works with chicken thighs, wings and pork chops too. It’s seriously awesome what adding lots of extra flavor can do?
How To Make Keto Breaded Oven Barbecue Chicken
Let’s talk easy and super tasty here! This recipe is all about the flavor folks. Who can resist amazing chicken is that is breaded and smelling like heaven when it comes out of the oven. Then we take it up a notch by coating the breading with tangy barbecue sauce. It’s out of this world good.
- Chicken Breasts – I used boneless skinless breasts, then cut them in half lengthwise.
- Almond Flour – coconut flour can substitute for almond flour if you like it better. I’ve used both flours to make this dish and both are fantastic!
- Eggs – large eggs were used.
- Sugar Free Ketchup
- Low Carb Honey – I love the honey because it tastes good and mixes in well, but low carb brown sugar or granulated sweetener will work.
- Worcestershire Sauce – it adds a few carbs to the sauce, but is worth it for the flavor. If your strictly counting carbs you can omit it.
- Chili Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Dried Minced Onion – if you don’t have any, onion powder is a great substitute.
- Yellow Mustard
- Hot Sauce – my favorite is sriracha but any hot sauce will do.
Cut your chicken breasts (if using large ones) in half to make cutlets. Then set up your breading station. Using two shallow bowls, crack the eggs and whisk with water in one, and mix the almond flour, salt and pepper in the other.
Use tongs (less messy than using your fingers) to dip each breast first into the egg mix, and tap off the excess.
Then, dip and roll the breast into the flour mixture to coat both sides.
Lay the coated chicken on a baking sheet that’s lined with parchment paper. OR lightly spray your baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Put the pan in the preheated 400°F oven for 25 – 35 minutes until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of at least 165°F on an instant read thermometer. Baking time may vary depending on thickness of your chicken breasts.
While the chicken is baking, make the sauce by first combining all of the sauce ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring the sauce to a boil over medium-high heat, then simmer for 15 minutes to let the flavors combine. Remove from the heat and let cool in the pan until the chicken is done. If you don’t want to make your own barbecue sauce, use your favorite bottled low carb barbecue sauce.
When the chicken is done, remove the pan from the oven and brush each chicken piece gently with barbecue sauce. Even though we’ve used an egg wash, almond flour doesn’t hold together as well as regular flour (no gluten) so be gentle so it does crumble under the brush.
More Low Carb Chicken Recipe Ideas:
- Low Carb Bacon Wrapped Chicken
- Low Carb Creamy Mustard Sauce Chicken
- Low Carb Chicken Salsa Verde Casserole
- Easy Parmesan Ranch Chicken Wings
- Mozzarella Herb Chicken Bake
Keto Breaded Oven Barbecue Chicken
- 2.5 pounds chicken breasts, skinless, boneless
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease with non-stick cooking spray.
- Use a sharp knife to slice the chicken breasts in half lengthwise, to make cutlets.
- In shallow dish, whisk egg and water until combined. In a second shallow dish, stir together almond flour, salt and pepper. Dip each chicken breast in the egg mixture, making sure completely coated on all sides. Then dip in flour mixture and shake off excess. Place chicken skin side up on prepared sheet pan. Repeat process with each chicken breast.
- Bake for 25 – 35 minutes, until coating is crisp and chicken is at least 165°F on instant read thermometer.
- Using a brush, gently coat each chicken breast with sauce. Return to oven for 5 minutes.
- Slice and garnish with chopped parsley before serving.
MAKE THE SAUCE
- To a medium saucepan add ketchup, honey, worcestershire sauce, chili powder, garlic powder, minced onion,mustard, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Holistic Yum. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
NEED LOW CARB PANTRY ESSENTIALS?
CLICK ON THE IMAGES BELOW TO BUY YOUR LOW CARB BASICS. VISIT MY AMAZON SHOP FOR MORE MUST-HAVES!
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and rating below. I would appreciate the chance to troubleshoot any issues you might have had before you leave the rating!