Tart and sweet, this Low Carb Easy Lemon Curd recipe really delivers. About 5 minutes on the stove and the lemon curd is ready for recipes or chill for later! Only 1 net carb per serving!
When I started having to restrict my diet I really thought my days of eating dessert were done. Well, not so fast. If you love lemon curd to make tarts, spread on pancakes or just to eat by the spoonful, then this recipe is for you. Hands down, it’s so tasty you won’t believe it’s low carb. I taste tested this on the family in my Low Carb Lemon Tart recipe and they couldn’t tell the difference between this and “regular” lemon curd. Amazing!
This lemon curd recipe is super easy, as long as you do two simple things… use low heat and keep stirring! We all know what happens when you apply direct heat to eggs…they want to cook or even worse, curdle in the pot. Low heat and stirring will keep this from happening. Also, I like lemon curd that’s on the tart side, but feel free to adjust the sweetness to your taste. The best way is to add a tablespoon of sweetener at a time, stir, then taste it.
The lemon curd is soft, but has enough shape to stay in place on a tart. This is a lot different than lemon filling, which is meant to be baked or harden in the crust during chilling.
Pro Tips for Making the Best Low Carb Lemon Curd:
- When picking out your lemons, make sure that they are juicy. Squeeze them and if they have some “give” they should be fine.
- Lemon zest adds so much flavor to this lemon curd. Use a microplane zester for the best results and please…zest the lemon before juicing it! You don’t even want to hear my horror stories!!
- I’m just going to go ahead and say this again…keep stirring the pot the ENTIRE time it is cooking…and even after….until the butter is completely melted.
- Placing the plastic wrap on the top of the curd is to keep the erythritol from re-crystallizing. I don’t find this is too much of an issue with powdered erythritol, but sometimes it happens.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE EASY LOW CARB LEMON CURD
There are only 4 ingredients needed to make this luscious low carb lemon curd recipe!
CAN YOU MAKE LOW CARB LEMON CURD AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes, you can make the lemon curd ahead of time. I usually make it the day before I use it to make tarts to save time. It will keep for 2 – 3 days in the refrigerator,
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
Microplane Zester – This is the best tool ever for zesting!
Whisk with Scraper – whisk and scrape down the bowl with just one tool!
MORE LOW CARB RECIPES TO LOVE
LOW CARB EASY LEMON CURD RECIPE
Low Carb Easy Lemon Curd Recipe
- 9 tbsp eyrthritol, powdered
- 3 whole eggs
- 6 tbsp fresh lemon juice, about 2 lemons
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- In small sauce pot, add eyrthritol and eggs. Whisk until completely smooth.
- Whisk in lemon juice and lemon zest until combined.
- Over medium-low heat and stirring constantly, cook until curd starts to thicken.
- While continuing to stir, remove from heat and add butter. Stir until butter has melted.
- Transfer lemon curd to a jar or bowl and lay a piece of plastic wrap directly on the top of the lemon curd. Press out any air bubbles, cover tightly with lid or another piece of plastic and chill until use.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Holistic Yum. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
NEED LOW CARB PANTRY ESSENTIALS?
CLICK ON THE IMAGES BELOW TO BUY YOUR LOW CARB BASICS. VISIT MY AMAZON SHOP FOR MORE MUST-HAVES!