This easy low carb cake is delicious with tantalizing roasted strawberries and an almond flour base.
LOW CARB ROASTED STRAWBERRY CAKE
If you’ve memorized the very short list of fruits that are okay for low carb diets like I have, you know that strawberries are right there at the top. To make use of all those gorgeous strawberries that are in season, I modified my Low Carb Blackberry Almond Cake recipe to make this roasted strawberry cake. And if you’ve never had delicious roasted strawberries, you are seriously missing out!
HOW TO ROAST STRAWBERRIES
Making the roasted strawberries is really simple. And only has 2 steps:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Stem and cut your strawberries in half. Place cut side down on rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment.
- Bake for 20 minutes, stir strawberries and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes until the strawberries are tender. Keep an eye on them and remove from the oven before the juices or edges of the strawberries start to burn. Cool in the pan.
Try to cut the strawberries so they are the same thickness. If some of the strawberries are larger, cut them into quarters.
Gather the corners of the parchment paper to transfer the strawberries, juice and all, into a bowl. Add salt and balsamic vinegar (optional).You’ll use half for making the cake, and the other half for scooping over the top when you serve.
MAKING THE CAKE
The ingredients for this cake are just low carb baking staples, like erythritol, almond flour, coconut flour and almond milk. If you don’t keep almond milk on hand, you can sub in equal parts of heavy cream and water.
This recipe is very simple. Just mix all of the ingredients, except the strawberries, in a large bowl. Transfer to the springform baking pan, then spread the roasted strawberries with juice on top. Bake for about an hour. While hot from the oven, sprinkle over a little low carb brown sugar for extra sweetness and flavor if you like. Done!
FREEZING ROASTED STRAWBERRY CAKE
This cake is totally freezer friendly. Just make the cake according to the recipe and allow to cool completely. Wrap tightly in foil, then again in plastic wrap or a large plastic freezer bag. Remove as much air from the bag as possible. Thaw in the refrigerator before serving. Will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
*Remaining strawberries for topping can be frozen separately in a small freezer-safe container or plastic bag. Thaw before using.
MORE POPULAR BERRY DESSERT RECIPES TO TRY
Low Carb Roasted Strawberry Cake
- 2 cups strawberry halves, roasted
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar, optional
- dash table salt
- 1-1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder, aluminum free
- 3/4 cup granulated erythritol, or similar sweetener
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp low carb brown sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°F or 177°C. Grease 8-inch springform pan or parchment lined 8 x 8 baking dish. Parchment should hang over the sides of dish for easy lifting
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment. Spread strawberry halves in even layer. Roast in 375°F oven for 30 – 35 minutes until tender and juice is rendered. Watch oven to remove before juice starts to burn. Scrape into bowl and stir in balsamic and salt.
- Reduce oven heat to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients except strawberries until well combined.
- Pour cake batter into prepared pan. In an even layer, place half of roasted strawberries and juices on top of the batter.
- Bake on center rack of oven for 50 to 60 minutes, until top of cake is golden brown and cake feels firm in the center when lightly pressed.
- Allow cake to cool before removing from pan. Serve cake with remaining strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream (optional).
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Holistic Yum. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
NEED LOW CARB PANTRY ESSENTIALS?
CLICK ON THE IMAGES BELOW TO BUY YOUR LOW CARB BASICS. VISIT MY AMAZON SHOP FOR MORE MUST-HAVES!
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and rating below. I would appreciate the chance to troubleshoot any issues you might have had before you leave the rating!