Smoky and full of woodsy mushroom flavor, this easy ham mushroom soup recipe tastes decadent but is totally low carb and gluten-free. Ready in only 20 minutes – and needs only 7 common ingredients.
Easy Ham Mushroom Soup is for you if you’re looking for an amazing soup that will fill you up and help you stay on your keto diet. This soup is naturally low carb, gluten-free and totally tasty. With just a few common ingredients, you can whip this easy soup up for lunch or dinner in less than 30 minutes.
One of my favorite meals I used to order for lunch before I started cooking low carb was the soup of the day. I loved it because it came with a huge muffin! Those days are behind me, but this soup is truly amazing with Keto Blueberry Muffins or Keto Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins!
More Low Carb Freezer-Friendly Soups to Try:
- Keto Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Keto Roasted Cauliflower Soup
- Low Carb Southern Chili
- Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup
This site may contain affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links, which helps to keep this content free.
IS HAM MUSHROOM SOUP LOW CARB?
There are four main ingredients to this soup. Ham, Mushrooms, Cream and Vegetable broth. Each servings of soup has 5.2 grams of carbs, and 1.1 grams of fiber, which is 4.1 net grams of carbs per serving. So this soup will definitely fit into your keto diet plan. Let’s look at how the carbs stack up for each of the main ingredients.
- Ham has roughly 2 grams of carbs per cup, so it’s a winner for our low carb soup.
- While a lot of vegetables are low in carbs, mushrooms are actually one of the lowest. One cup of mushrooms has only 2 carbs, and 1 of those carbs is fiber. Mushrooms also contain strong anti-inflammatory properties.
- Cream makes this soup ultra smooth and decadent, and has 6.4 grams of carbs per cup. But this soup recipe makes 6 generous servings, so the cream only accounts for about 1.1 gram of carbs per serving.
- Vegetable broth has 3 grams of carbs per cup. This recipe calls for 4 cups of broth, which is 2 grams of carbs per serving.
PRO TIPS FOR PERFECT KETO HAM MUSHROOM SOUP
- Cut your ham pieces to the same size as the mushroom pieces for a uniform soup, that’s easier to eat from the spoon.
- Simmer the soup over medium or low heat. Avoid bringing to a full boil or the soup will thicken too much.
- If your ham mushroom soup too salty – try adding more cream or broth to dilute the salt flavor.
- If your ham mushroom soup too bland – add salt first because that is a common issue. If the soup is already salty enough, you might add more thyme, parsley and pepper to the soup. A pinch of cayenne will add a little heat if you feel that’s what’s missing.
HOW TO MAKE THIS SOUP RECIPE IN THE SLOW COOKER
If you want to make your soup in a slow cooker rather than on the stove, you can!
For the slow cooker version, you will still want to saute the garlic and ham on the stove, just like the recipe. Then transfer the garlic and mushrooms to the slow cooker along with your other ingredients.
Cook on High for 2 hours or Low for 4 hours. Stir occasionally while cooking for the best results.
CAN YOU FREEZE HAM MUSHROOM SOUP?
Yes, you can freeze this soup for later. Freeze in heavy duty plastic freezer bags or airtight containers. To prevent the cream from curdling, you will want to stir it really well when reheating. You could also leave out the cream while making the soup, and add it while re-heating.
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
Dutch Oven – any large pot will work, but this ceramic coated pot is perfect for making this soup all in one pot.
Chef’s Knife – for expertly dicing mushrooms and ham.
Ladle – generous size and it’s bamboo wood so the handle won’t get hot.
Slow Cooker – only if you want to make your keto ham and mushroom soup in the slow cooker instead of on the stove.
EASY HAM MUSHROOM SOUP
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 16 ounce baby bella mushrooms, quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups ham, diced, bite size cubes
- 1 tbsp fresh snipped parsley
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Over medium heat in dutch oven, melt butter.
- Add in mushrooms. Saute until just mushrooms start to soften and release their liquid, 3 – 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add ham, parsley, pepper, thyme, broth and cream. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer.
- Continue to simmer 15 – 20 minutes until mushrooms are tender.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with fresh parsley leaves.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Holistic Yum. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and rating below. I would appreciate the chance to troubleshoot any issues you might have had before you leave the rating!